I hope your week has been a good one. Last week I shared a few spaces inside my home for my fall home tour. I’ve moved on to the outside, and today I’m sharing a quick and easy DIY project for the porch using a salvaged window.
***This post contains affiliate links. For my complete disclosure policy, please see here.***
But before I get to the repurposed window project, can we just take a moment to admire these gorgeous pumpkins from Trader Joe’s? I had people stopping me in the store to ooh and ahh over these pumpkins. They are that pretty. Oh, and only $6.99, and that’s even for the huge ones. I know!
Okay, back to the window.
I was shopping for mums at my favorite local garden store, and I also picked up some oh so charming rusty metal bird silhouettes. They had several styles, including owls and ferns, but my favorites were the crow (raven?) and the little songbirds on the branch. This Crow Silhouette with Rusty Finish and these Chickadees on a Birch Branch are similar, or even the same.
I then found a great old window at Ballard Reuse, which is a Seattle building salvage store. They have all kinds of pieces and parts rescued from old buildings. I never know what I might find there. I even picked up a cool vintage women’s bowling trophy from California dated 1962, but I’ll save that for another day. My mom was on a bowling league in California in the ’60’s, so of course I had to have it.
This window project was so easy and took me less than an hour to complete. Here’s what I did:
I gave the old window a quick cleaning with a spritz of Krud Kutter Cleaner/Degreaser to get rid of the dust and grime. Let the window dry. Once I figured out where I wanted my birds to go, I pre-drilled the holes and screwed the birds in with small wood screws. I predrilled the top and twisted in two screw hooks for hanging. I measured the distance between the two screw hooks, and then predrilled and screwed in two plant hooks (the same distance apart as the window hooks) to the top of my porch where I wanted the window to hang. I found some old chain in my garage, attached it to the window and hung it up. I think the window would look really cute hanging with jute or rope rather than chain, but I used chain since that is what I had on hand.
I grabbed a couple of dried Japanese maple branches from my garden and placed them on top of the window. That’s it. Easy.
While I was at the garden store, I also picked up this gorgeous “Little Lime” hydrangea. It’s on the porch for now, but I have a spot to plant it in the garden later this fall.
The orange pillows and plaid throw that I had in my den earlier this fall, have been relocated to the porch.
Thanks so much for stopping by today. I would love to hear what you think of this project.